Tuesday, July 19, 2016

2016 Vermont 100 Mile Endurance Run


The 2016 Edition of the Vermont 100 Miler Endurance Run ended for me well short of 100 Miles.  Despite the DNF at mile 58.5 (the newly designated Margaritaville), I had a great time all around (an a pair of Margaritas waiting for the sag wagon!).  I knew going in that I was undertrained for the course/terrain (despite having run the Great NY 100 Mile Running Exposition last month).  I didn't have the necessary hill work and mileage base I would have liked.

I realized coming down from Sound of Music (roughly mile 28) that it would be a tough day when my quads starting pounding me.  I expected sore quads - just not that early in the day (maybe at the half way point).  As it turned out, the one mile downhill into Camp Ten Bear (mile 47) was a relatively brutal stretch for me.  It was, perhaps, the low point of the day!  How ironic was it that a course noted for its unrelenting climbs would trip me up on the downhills!

Toss in my old nemesis - chafing - and it quickly became apparent that it wasn't going to be my day.  I managed another 10+ miles, but finishing the 100 wasn't in the cards.

Still, it was an excellent time - and I have no regrets!  Now, finish #4 will have to wait until next year :D



No comments: