Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 boston build-up 10k: race photos & results


on the drive over to norwalk, cbs radio announced that jfk has suspended flights because a plane had slide off the icy runway - that should have been an omen of things to come!  i was only worried about getting in the boston build-up 10k before the forecasted rain arrived.  instead we had a perfect storm of freezing drizzle that covered the course in a sheen of ice. 

running in those conditions was a challenge - and i lost count of the number of runner who fell (some multiple times) and those who called it quits after only a couple of miles because the roads were so treacherous.  i spent 95% of my time focused on foot placement, and still managed a handful of slips - but, luckily, no falls.  the other 5% of my time was spent wiping frozen drizzle from my glasses!  when i finished i was literally covered in ice - my hats (i had on two), the sleeves of my tech shirt, and the portion of my shirt exposed at the bottom of my vest!

and, speaking of time, my 52:44 finish was a relief!  the road conditions made my earlier hoped for sub-48 target seem comical :O

given this 2014 series kick-off, i can only imagine what the 15k in ridgefield might look like two weeks from now (typically the coldest of the series)!

here are the race results from clubct.








the rest of my photos are up on facebook.

No comments: