Tuesday, April 13, 2010

2010 scarsdale 15k race report



I’ve run each of the “Scardale Races” - the 15K and 4 Miler (even the 2 Mile Kids Fun Run w/Katie) - multiple times over the last 10 years. This year, like last year, I had planned to run the 4 Miler with Katie. But when the date conflicted with her field hockey camp, I opted to run the 15K instead. It was a busy race morning - the Scarsdale 15K also conflicted with the Hudson Valley 15K (which I ran last year) and the Broadway Ultra Society’s (B.U.S.) combined 3 Hour Race followed by its annual awards brunch.

The 15K includes a masters team challenge (over 40 for women, over 50 for men). Emmy, Francoise and Noonie joined together for a team - and took first place! I was still a couple of years away from (but closing fast on) the male masters team minimum age. Joe Handleman (weeks away from his 80th birthday) kidded me about that (and promised to save me a place on his team down the road).

The four miler went off at 9:00, 15 minutes earlier than the 15K. I didn’t have a particular race plan in mind - but did want to finish under 1:10. It’s a tough course, with two notable hills. The first loop follows the 4 mile course and we get to see the 4 milers heading back to the high school on the outbound leg. Susan’s son, D.J., manned the 3 mile water station - and was a familiar face on the first loop.

I went out a bit too fast (6:56) for the first mile. The course was poorly marked - I only caught sight of two more markers (miles 3 and 7) before the finish. I slowed down to a 7:07 pace by the third mile (21:20). Still fast, but the next 4 miles took 29:30 (slowing the pace considerably), and I reached 7 miles in 50:50. The rolling hills are a natural speed brake! I had 19+ minutes for the last 2.3 miles to finish under 1:10 - very doable.

During the last two miles I moved into 6th place overall. But, as Murphy’s Law would validate, with the last half mile I was passed by some kid with an Ipod! He didn’t look like he was in his forties - and I paid the price for not reeling him! Not only was he in my age group, but his 12 second victory margin over my 1:07:19 finish eased me out of first, and into second, place in our age group! Arrgh!! But on a much brighter note, Emmy, right behind me in 1:08:06 - won the woman’s race outright!

But neither of us could stay for the award ceremony. After a quick look at the results board (I finished 7th overall) I grabbed a bagel and we drove down to Long Island for the B.U.S. brunch in Valley Stream. The brunch was practically over by the time we arrived, but there was still plenty of time to socialize and catch up. Most of them had put in about 20 miles during the 3 hour race held immediately before the brunch. We were the only slackers in the group - for having logged “just” 9.3 miles that morning ;p

Next up: back to the Boston Marathon after a one year hiatus! As always, say hello if you’re there!

Here are the race photos.

No comments: